Thursday, July 16, 2015

Landlubber

I know...I've been a terrible blogger lately.  I think ever since my muse (my grandmother) passed away I just don't get it done like I used to.  However, I'm still here, the kids still keep growing and doing stuff, and so I keep putting it onto this little space of ours.

When I last posted we were headed towards the swimming championships.  We won. The season is over.  The team is undefeated for like the 5th year in a row.
As promised...I'm explaining Sawyer's hesitancy...
All of the kids, but Saw, wanted to swim on the swim team this season.  We coaxed ever so gently, and then ever so not gently, to be on the team.  He knows how to swim, but the team just makes him a stronger swimmer.  I highly recommend a year or two on a swim team to anyone!  Anywho...he cried and refused to get in at the first practices.  Then we went through some tough negotiations where some things were taken away for not getting in the pool.  Bribes were offered, but not accepted.  Nevertheless, a deal was struck.  Practice is 5 days a week.  He would swim for 2 days, get to play in the play area of the pool for 2 days, he would participate in the team's Fun Friday events, and he would not have to swim in the actual competitive meets. 
Halfway through the season though he got to be pretty good.  The coaches wanted to pull him up and have him compete in the meets.  I was reluctant, but wanted him to do it.  He didn't want to do it.  It was quite a battle between two fierce opponents.
Unfortunately for Saw, he doesn't like to put himself out there and he will dig in his heels like nobody's business.  You can't just always bribe him with candy, or toys, or special treats.  If he doesn't wanna do something...that's that.  Actually, a good quality for some situations...not swimming.   He's my kid that sometimes you have to just push him right off the cliff so that he can fly.  So I kinda tried to push him off the cliff (or at least the side of the pool). At his first meet we (me and the coaches) barely got him in the water for the warm ups.  He cried, panicked, and finally got in and swam one lap.  I thought...great! he's off the cliff and he's seen that he will fly...but no.  When it came to his turn in the meet he totally bailed!  He got right up to the blocks and turned tail and walked away as fast as his little Speedo would carry him!  In his defense, there was an hour rain delay and I think any tiny speck of courage he had was gone by the time the meet resumed.  Epic fail.
After much conversation and a week of practice we (Jason, the coaches, and me) convinced him to try again at the last meet of the season.  He was pretty nervous, but did the warm up laps.  He actually did his freestyle event and WON HIS HEAT!  He was so proud.  He was beaming and showing off his heat ribbon to everyone!  Then I thought...great! he's off the cliff and he's seen that he will fly...but no.  When he was called up for backstroke...he freaked out again...in tears.  What!?  I'm thinking, but you just won your freestyle heat...you just flew off the cliff!  Finally, he did the backstroke, but whimpered the whole time.
Preparing for his event.  I know you can't see his back very well, but it says "Eat My Bubbles".

Backstroke

Short story long...the league holds a Junior Meet for all of the little kids that are not in many events or that are 'in training', which means they're not ready for meets yet.  Like Sass.
Let's take a quick break and look at her.
She's very young and is on the team, but doesn't compete in the meets...she's 'in training'.  This girl was PUMPED for the meet!  She pretty much disabled her competitition by announcing to them through a begoggled face and gritted teeth that she "wanted that ribbon".  I think the others were scared to win.  Whatevs. 
             Here she is in the 5 and Under Noodle Assist Event.
Swimmer's take your mark.

Kicking hard...

Winner Winner

Being a good sport, which is hard for Sass, and sitting with the girls.

But not Sawyer.  He bailed on the Junior Meet individual freestyle, bailed on the individual backstroke, and cried his entire length of the relay event.  I could not believe it.  He had come so far.  Conquered the real big kid meets.  This was just the Juniors.  Ugh! The cliff was behind us...Why was he not flying?!  The worst part...I told him he was done.  The season was over and that I was proud of all of his efforts! 
Then...ugh...they needed him for the Championships!  Three events worth of needing him.  Sumner was only in one event!  So his coaches (and parents and grandparents) encouraged him and bribed him with fishing gear if he would swim!  And y'all I'm proud to say...HE DID IT!  He even won his heat in freestyle!  He did all three without crying or panicking or anything.  It was like he was a totally different kid.  I can't figure this one out.  Not for the world. 
He's in the lead!  And he wins he heat!

Getting ready for backstroke like he'd done it his whole life!  Ha ha
I mean, go figure, right?!

So will he hang up his Speedos and swim cap...the world will be holding their collective breath for next summer to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment