Anyway, I've been sick this week and it stiiiinks! Or should I say stunk. I'm in recovery...thank goodness. The kids have been pretty good, they're very sweet and ask me how I'm feeling. But you'd think they've totally forgotten how to function without me. They come in my room to ask me how to change the channel or adjust the volume. Then I have to come out of my room to help them pick out clothes for school...which on regular days they beg to pick out their own. They forgot their water bottles to take to school...didn't occur to them to ask their dad to fill them up for them before the bus came. And sick or not...they come in with "We're bored. Can you fix us a snack?" about 22 times a day. Ugh! Sick sucks.
**********
The boys were in the back of the car discussing something that an adult must be able to do. I missed the something...
Sawyer to Sumner: PawPaw can do it, I know, because he's a grown up!
Sumner to Sawyer: He can, but he's not a grown up! He's a grandparent!
**********
Sumner was trying to figure out how long he had to wait until a birthday party.
Sumner: How much longer 'til the birthday party?
Me: You have a half hour.
Sumner: How long is that? Is that 30 minutes?
Me: Yes, 30 minutes.
Sumner: Well, how long is that? Like half an hour? Or just 30 minutes?
Me: Both. They are the same.
Sumner (quietly to himself): Hmmm. I'm not real sure about that.
**********
We're swimming at Aunt Kay's house. The kids are jumping off the diving board.
Me: Sass, don't you want to jump?
Sass: Maybe. Sometimes I don't like jumping off the living board.
**********
The other day we were getting ready to go run errands. Sass had a little romper that at first she didn't want to wear. I told it was very nice and she'd be comfy in it. We put it on and I left the room.
A few minutes later she came out of her room, glitter flip-flops, one hand on hip, she twirled some sunglasses and popped them on her face. She tilted her head back to me and said, "THIS is what cutie-patootie looks like!"
**********
Riding to the beach with Nana and PawPaw, Sass was listening to Nana tell something about listening to a 'babbling brook'.
PawPaw, having not heard the babbling brook expression before, said it wasn't a babbling brook, but a 'bubbling brook'.
Nana said, no she was sure she was saying it right...it was babbling.
PawPaw said no it was bubbling.
Sass piped up from the backseat in Nana's defense and said, "PawPaw...you don't speak Spanish!"
**********
Sumner loves to think he knows a lot about sports. And he does...just not everything. And he loves to make up names for different plays or moves. He also swears they're right.
Example 1: We were playing badminton in the yard. When he would score a point he would tell me his move was a side hand. No idea what it was, but he kept saying, "Yes. I won with my side hand move!"
Example 2: He was playing football against Sawyer on the XBox and he kept saying, "Player Cross, Saw. That's the only play I'm running. Player Cross."
Crickets from Sawyer.
More from Sumner..."I got you now with Player Cross, Saw! Watch out! Player Cross will get you every time!"
I never once saw a move on the screen called Player Cross.
Example 3: We were playing a game in the driveway of shooting darts at a target. We were talking about aiming the dart gun different ways and Sumner informs us if we would just hold it with a cut arm range we would get closer to the target. He demonstrated by holding the dart gun up, but I still have no idea what that is and how it's different from what the rest of us were doing.
**********
Sass and Saw are actually pretty good buddies when they're alone. The love to play mom and dad or "family" as they call it. Many times I'll hear Sass say, "Come on, honey, time to go to the store!" or "Yes, dad, I would love some cake for dessert." And if I happen to pass by and catch his eye, he always kinda winces in embarrassment and says, "We're just pretending, mama. It's what we do".
I maybe reply, "Gotcha" or "Oh, I know" to reassure him, but I keep it moving because, above all, I don't want them to stop. With Kindergarten starting...these playtimes for the Littles is fleeting. Sigh...
**********
Finally, I just had to note this for posterity's sake...
Sawyer is not a big time snuggler with me. He's more a man's man. A shadow to his Daddy. He wants to do what Daddy is doing, Daddy needs to be the last to say goodnight, etc. etc.
But in the mornings...first thing...I get a hug and a quick snuggle. Sometimes he'll even bypass his Daddy just this one moment of the day. I will admit I love it immensely.
But let me tell you about this special hug, Sawyer puts his arms around me and really squeezes...holding on tight...not quickly letting go to run off. It's the best hug EVER! And to top it off...the thing that nearly brings me to tears every time...he pats my back. His little fingers will be giving me a bit of a pat just like I do to him. I don't know why, but I tell you, it is the sweetest thing. The tiniest moment that I will cherish as long as I live.
No comments:
Post a Comment