Thursday, May 8, 2014

Election Hangover & a Political Rebellion

With the election over...that's 13 hours at the polls on Tuesday...we are wiped out!  The kids all wanted to join in at handing out cards for their daddy at the polls and they did a fantastic job.  The big kids skipped school and headed out to different polls...Bebe and Sawyer with daddy and Sumner with Nana.  I got the Sass...the political scandalist.
There was one snafu to the day...Sass and I were at a poll handing out cards together and she was a fabulous hander-outer.  Even the toughest of voters couldn't decline a card from a little girl in red, white, and blue and red cowboy boots!  Especially one that says, "please vote for my daddy".  She killed it.  Anyway, about 5 hours into the 85 degree day...she wandered behind the political polling line to go back and forth between playing in the mulch and sitting in the shade of her umbrella to play with the iPad.  Take note:  She wasn't near any voters or even in their pathway to the door of the building.  No one at that point even noticed her.  The other people handing out cards or whatever complimented her over and over and over again.  At one point, one of the men in the group said they'd all taken a vote and named her Best Behaved Three Year Old EVER!  However, late in the morning Sass found a magic wand (a stick) and tapped a window while saying, "bibbity, bobbity, boo".  I told her no, but of course she had to do it one more time.  Because she's 3.  Then she went back to the mulch.  Over and done you say?  Nope!
The meanest lady in the entire universe, the lady in charge of the polling station, came out furious and yelling in the grumpiest tone possible, "Who's child is this?  Who does this child belong to!"  To which I replied, "She's mine."  Then it went a little something like this...

Meanest Lady Ever (MLE):  This child is tapping on the windows of a polling station.  That is unacceptable.

Me:  Yes.  She did it twice, but she's been told not to and she's over here now.  She's 3.

MLE:  Well, she cannot be disturbing the voters.  She is behind the line allowed for campaigning.  She has to move immediately.

Me:  I apologize.  She is 3.  She goes to preschool in this building and has siblings who attend Bible School here.  She doesn't realize what's...

MLE: (yelling and interrupting):  You listen to me.  She must stay behind the campaign line. (pointing down the entire sidewalk)  She better be behind the line or I'll call the sheriff to have her removed.

Me:  Hey, I just said I would keep her over here under her umbrella.  She's on the grass, away from the window.  I got it and...

MLE: (yelling and interrupting):  You better listen!  She is not allowed to sit on the grass.  (meaning she must sit on hot concrete)  I am the chief judge here and she better be behind the line or I'll call the sheriff and have her removed!

Me:  I get it, but she's 3.  She'll be fine.  (The MLE stomped back inside)

Everyone around us literally had their mouths wide open in shock.  Literally.  Not an exaggeration.  I got complimented for standing up to the woman in such a calm manner.  I was trying so hard to keep it under control for my husband's sake.  I didn't want anything bad to come out in regards to his name on election day.  However, if I wasn't worried about leaving a poll location unmanned while waiting for a sheriff, I really wanted to tell that woman to go right ahead and call the sheriff on a 3 year old!   Oh...I would have loved to see that!  Because I'm pretty sure I would've known the deputy that would have shown up and he'd have probably cussed the woman out...after he laughed in her face.  What a crazy moment!  No one could believed they had just witnessed a grown woman (about 65) threatening to call the sheriff on a 3 year old!  It made for a good laugh and a good story for a long day.  You know that Sass...political rebel!

By the way, that woman was reported to the Elections Board director!  And not even by me!  Someone beat me to it!





No comments:

Post a Comment