Friday, December 20, 2013

The Magic of Christmas

One of my favorite things about Christmas at our house is the magic that comes with the season!  

I mean there's the Big Guy coming that is above all...big time magic.  And I'm so thankful that we've survived one more year of that magic with Bebe.

However, there's a magical little tradition we have that I look forward to every year that provides some of the most wonderful looks of awe and excitement on a daily basis.  We have our tree lights on remote.  I mean it's not only a matter of convenience...no wriggling behind the tree to plug in lights...the lights come on or turn off at the mere touch of a button.

But the best part...the greatest most awesome part...is that my kids don't know it!  (insert woot woot from the Humpday camel)

Years ago we spontaneously told Bebe to turn the tree lights on.  Being 3 she looked at us and said, "How?"  We told her to try some magic words.  I wish I'd come up with something more Christmas-y clever, but instead I offered up the Disney classic of "Bibbity-bobbity-boo".  Oh well...

So that little chubby-cheeked, angelic face looked right into the tree full of ornaments and said timidly, "Bibbity-bobbity-boo".  And ta-dah!!!  The lights of the tree came on and her face filled with absolute joy!  I don't even think she was breathing!  She was beaming as brightly as the tree, and I almost melted right then and there to see such awe in the face of a child.  A tradition was born.

Now every year as I string the lights on the tree I can't wait for the kids to see it first thing in the morning and rush to the tree with anticipation.  They look at the tree giddily and say "Bibbity-bobbity-boo!" and as the tree lights glow so do their faces and their belief in the magic of the tree.  They also use the magic words to turn the tree lights off.  It takes some careful planning...to have the remote in hand or hidden in my pocket.  I also have to do some creative and quick, very quick, thinking if they come to the tree and I don't have the remote right ready, but I've always come up with something.  And the tradition continues.

And this year...my three year old, with her chubby cheeks looked at that tree like a little angel and whispered the magic words "Bibbity-bobbity-boo".  When the lights popped on her eyes grew wide and her mouth made the cutest O.  She couldn't believe the power of her own magic.  She looked at Jason and I with the greatest of glee.

This is one of those things that I will hold dear to my heart until the day I die.  I literally dread the day that the kids will not eagerly look at the tree and feel the power of their own magic.  I will miss the sweet, happy faces as they reflect the warm glow of the lights.  But for now...the Christmas magic lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment